In this special 3-part 12th episode of The Rationalist, the ‘Civilization Fantasy Draft’ edition, host Mike Coté and returning guests Robb McClintock and Cornelius Radek take part in a Rationalist podcast first: a fantasy draft.
This fantasy draft was meant to create our ‘ideal’ civilization and the potential draftees were various and sundry historical figures. In this second part of the podcast, we recap the first 5 rounds of the draft, as well as go through the final 5 rounds of our 10-round draft. Interspersed within are asides on various governmental concepts, historical figures, and other shenanigans. In the section below, we’ve put the results of the 5 rounds of drafting covered in this podcast. Be sure to check out the first part of the podcast of you missed it and our ‘postgame’ show (Part III) on how things shook out in the end. Enjoy, and please check out the linked Twitter and Facebook polls to help us determine who ‘won’ the draft!
- Round 6: Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Robb), Lee Kuan Yew (Mike), John Maynard Keynes (Cornelius)
- Round 7: Axel Oxenstierna (Cornelius), Niccolo Machiavelli (Mike), Soren Kierkegaard (Robb)
- Round 8: Voltaire (Robb), Justinian I (Mike), Henry David Thoreau (Cornelius)
- Round 9: Khalid ibn al-Walid (Cornelius), Alexander Suvorov (Mike), Draco (Robb)
- Round 10: Catherine the Great (Robb), Alexander Hamilton (Mike), Leonhard Euler (Cornelius)